Have a question or comment, please feel free to look through our FAQs or contact us using the form below.
FAQs / Contact Us
Referral instructions are available on our website.
For intensive rehabilitation, see: http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/referral-intensive/
For day rehabilitation, see: http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/day-rehabilitation/
For residential rehabilitation, see: http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/residential-referrals/
For home and community rehabilitation, see: http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/mild-tbi-concussion/ or http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/community-outpatients-assessment-rehabilitation-services-acquired-brain-injury/
All requests for research study support must be submitted on our application form, and are then evaluated against a standard set of criteria. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
Although we want to support all aspiring rehabilitation professionals, we simply don’t have the time to respond individually to all of the requests we get for information for university essays.
Below is some general information that may be useful for you.
Our model of rehabilitation is:
- Based on the ICF (http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/en/ ).
- Using the ICF as a framework within rehabilitation is useful because it guides the goal-setting to the appropriate level (impairment / activity or participation). Every client is different, and so are their goals.
The clients we assist are:
- People who have had a brain injury. This includes a number of diagnoses. For more information, see: http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/information-for-clients-families/
- People who have had a moderate to severe TBI, are over 16 years of age, and have ACC cover.
- People who have had strokes and have funding through DHBs or MoH.
- People with private insurance.
- People who are living in their own homes and need rehabilitation.
- People who need long-term support and rehabilitation in community-based housing.
- Others, on a case-by-case basis.
Our teamwork looks like:
- Governance / administration team for working toward overall organisational strategies.
- Clinical leaders at the national and local levels to manage the day-to-day operation.
- Direct-to-client services via an interdisciplinary team involving medical consultants, a nursing team, a full allied health team (e.g., physios, OTs, SLTs, psychologists, social workers, keyworkers), non-professional care staff.
- There are separate IDTs operating our Auckland and Wellington services, and in our intensive / community / long-term services, although there is a lot of collaboration and work-sharing across teams, too. This means that experiences and expertise can be shared.
- Key features of good teamwork are: effective communication; collaboration; joint assessment, treatment, goal planning, and documentation; understanding of each other’s skills and strengths; placing the client and their goals at the centre of the team.
- We published an article about our teamwork with families. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22489631 )
Some of our key measurement instruments to track outcomes are:
- FIM and FAM (http://www.tbims.org/combi/FAM/ )
- Mayo Portland Adaptability Inventory ( http://www.tbims.org/combi/mpai/ )
- Goal attainment scale (GAS)
- Rehabilitation Complexity Scale (RCS)
- Westmead Post Traumatic Amnesia Scale
- Satisfaction surveys (completed by clients, families, and staff that we work with at other healthcare providers).
We benchmark our outcomes.
- We submit our clinical data to AROC (http://ahsri.uow.edu.au/aroc/index.html)
We also do quarterly and annual reports to our funders. The reports contain information about client outcomes, satisfaction surveys, compliments/complaints, etc. This lets us track our own outcomes over time and look for changes.
You may call the facility and ask to leave a message for your friend/family member. Visiting hours are seven days a week at our inpatient and long-term facilities.
For telephone numbers, addresses and maps, and visiting information, please visit our Contact Us page: http://www.abi-rehab.co.nz/contact-us/
We will not disclose client information unless the client has given their express authorisation for this.